Givon Hahadasha (New Givon) is named after two ancient cities that once stood in close proximity. Givon is mentioned several times in the Bible, from the days of Joshua to the reign of King David and finally the mention of the residents of Givon who built the walls of Jerusalem during the time of Nehemiah. Hadasha is mentioned in Antiquities of the Jews, in the description of the battle in which Judah the Maccabee beat Nikanor. The story of the resettlement of Givon Hahadasha began over a century ago. In 1888, 2000 dunams of land were purchased from the nearby village of Nebi Samuel.  They were first settled in 1895 by thirteen Yemenite families who worked in agriculture. Due to a serious lack of funding, the group eventually had to abandon the land. An additional attempt at settlement took place in 1924 by a group of fifteen people, who later also abandoned the land due to the difficult living conditions. Over fifty years later, in 1977, settlement was again reattempted.

There are about 300 families living in the town today. Most of the residents are secular, but there are also some religious families, and there is an active synagogue. Over the past decade, 35 families from the former Soviet Union have been absorbed into the community. The town’s symbol includes a sun, reminiscent of the battle of Joshua Bin Nun during which the sun stood still in Givon.